Finance/Micro-Loan Programs

Bank Security Agreements for Micro-Loan program

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Deb Zabloudil 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Bill Meath
    Participant

We are trying to work with a bank here in Illinois to develop a micro loan program. They are requiring a Security Agreement to collateralize a dedicated savings account. The agreement they are asking us to sign is chuck full of legal speak that is giving me a headache.I am wondering, did any other SVDP Micro programs out there have had to do this? If so, could I get a copy of the agreement you executed? How did you guarantee the collateralized account?
    Thank you in advance for your responses.
    God bless,
    Bill Meath

Judith Coleman
    Participant

We have been able to sign a basic (2 page) collateral agreement, similar to a generic co-sign agreement, for each loan granted, individually. By doing this, rather than using the entire account for collateral, we would/could be able to withdraw any excess funds if available if we wanted to. We are working with a credit union rather than a bank. They seem to be more helping people oriented than our local banks.

Good luck to you. It’s a great program. We are a small conference but have been able to back $53,000 in loans for a total commitment of $26,000 over the course of abut 4 years.

Judy Coleman
    Society of St Vincent dePaul
    Corpus Christi Conference
    East Sandwich MA

Deb Zabloudil
    Participant

Bill, I have a microloan agreement that we use with our credit unions. As Judy said, credit unions are usually a little more willing to work with us than a bank would be since we want to award small loans. I can share that with you. Just email me at debzabloudil@gmail.com and I’ll send you a copy.

Deb Zabloudil
    Columbus Ohio SVdP Council

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.