Finance/Micro-Loan Programs

Focus Group Coming

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Karen Lanter Karen Lanter 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Karen Lanter
    Karen Lanter
    Participant

I am seeking to pull together of Society of St. Vincent de Paul reps who are experienced in microlending for a focus group at National Assembly coming to Tampa, Aug 29 through September 2nd. We have a national credit union that is seeking to offer us a national option and we need feedback and to troubleshoot the concept. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks.

Profile photo of Deb Zabloudil
    Deb Zabloudil
    Participant

I am not going to be able to be in Tampa this year, but I would like to make sure that I have an opportunity to put in my thoughts on this process. For me, a national partner defeats some of the things that we are trying to accomplish with our microloan program. Primarily, we are trying to help our new friends and borrowers develop a positive relationship with a financial institution. We close our loans in person so that the borrower gets to meet the staff of their credit union and can begin to develop a relationship there. In another county where we are almost ready to kick of our program, the local credit union is really committed to the community and will be helping us develop our mentoring program by having us connect with the quarterly dinners they have for some of their borrowers already. Most credit unions are very invested in their communities. The gifts that these relationships with your local community credit union cannot be duplicated at a national level.

That’s not to say that having one partner already developed isn’t important and would make my life a lot easier, but does it help our new friends and borrowers with what they need?

Just something to think about as you meet in Tampa. Wish I could be there!

Deb

Profile photo of Karen Lanter
    Karen Lanter
    Participant

Hi. Good points. Thanks. I will bring that information to the table.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.