Getting Ahead Programs

Bridges arrives in Devils Lake, ND

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Pauline Manalo 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Irene Frechette

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 12:59 PM, James Alfonso wrote:
    Yesterday, Joan Schaefer presented Bridges Out of Poverty to the St Joseph’s Hand of Mercy Conference in Devils Lake. Joan did an excellent job and I believe opened everyone’s eyes to to the metal picture that someone living in poverty has, and to present a realistic way thru the “Bridges Out of Poverty” program to help break thru the circle of poverty. What really impressed me was that research used to develop the program demonstrated that there is Hope and dismantled the myth that once a person is in poverty they will be there for life. Thru the Bridges program people can help the unfortunate gain a new mental image and a future image that will help them break the chains of poverty. Is it easy? No! But is there anything in life worth doing – that gains a higher moral ground that is easy or done without work? I don’t know of any.

If you haven’t went thru the training I highly recommend that you ask for training in Bridges Out of Poverty. It is where the Society of St Vincent de Paul needs to be. Not that Home Visits are unimportant they are still extremely important to help get those in need out of a crisis and is a necessary step in Bridges Out of Poverty. Have you heard the adage “You can give someone a fish and they will be fine for a day, but if you teach them to fish they will be fine for a life time”? Bridges Out of Poverty can teach to fish.

Pauline Manalo
    Participant

The Eastern Region, Baltimore and Washington, D.C. Councils are hosting the Bridges Out of Poverty Workshop and Poverty Simulation next month–April 15-16. Conference members from the Arlington, VA and WVA are expected to join local members. Keep us in your prayers, that participants may be inspired and equipped to help our neighbors in need move out of poverty.

Irene Frechette

Hi Pauline
    Great news on Bridges being held in your area! Who is running the BOP Workshop for you?
    Please keep us updated on how many folks attend
    Next time you post – start your own “topic” for the Eastern Region
    Your journey is just beginning!!!

Pauline Manalo
      Participant

Several of us who attended Hope In Action in Philadelphia led by Dom Visco are running the workshop. We’ll keep you posted.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.