Getting Ahead Programs

General Comments

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Irene Frechette 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Irene Frechette

Linda Strasburg asked – When you do a GA Program, are most of the investigators women? Are the facilitators men & women? Is this important to consider? Are you allowing spouses to participate together?
    Are you seeing a need for the videos to be in Spanish?

Irene Frechette

Carol Maurer replied – In eah of our 3 GS sessions, we have had a mix of men & women. We currently have 1 man trained as a facilitator who has not yet led a group. I do think it is important to consider. We are allowing spouses to participate together. We have had 3 couples so far, 2 at present time. Yes, videos in Spanish would be helpful.

Irene Frechette

Tom Pelger replied – Our 1st group is all women, and both facilitators are women. Of those who called to express interest in the class, over 90% were single women, which is consistent with what we see in our home visits. We serve mainly black, generational poverty. Married or long term committed couples are rarely seen. Having a man and woman facilitator woud be nice, but not necessary. We have some trained male facilitators, but my goal is to get a graduate facilitator in order to have someone with the African American experience.

Irene Frechette

The Systemic Change Team is working on the script for a revised Home Visit Video to accompany the Ozanam Orientation Program. I am looking for ideas on how our old methods of home visitations should be upgraded to reflect our desire to walk with our sisters & brothers out of poverty

Irene Frechette

Watch for stories of Systemic Change in the E-Gazette starting next week ( if they publish). We will be posting one a week. They will then be posted here in the COP

Irene Frechette

Hello to all our Getting Ahead Members – I have been wondering why there is not more communications between Bridges/GA leaders on this site. I talked to a couple of experts and they mentioned that when folks sign up, they may NOT be setting their accounts up for notifications. I have taken the liberty to set you all up to receive “weekly updates” — that means only one email a week that will summarize the traffic for you. If this is not acceptable, feel free to go into your account and turn it off – however – it wouldn’t make sense because then you wouldn’t know if anyone was seeking your advise or giving advise!

Irene Frechette

I have uploaded a document sent to us from Phil deVol author of the Getting Ahead Program – “The Geography of Intergenerational Mobility in the U.S.” – subtitled “Upward Mobility by zip code”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.