Job Skills/Employment Training

In-Home Work Opportunities

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Irene Frechette Irene Frechette 1 year ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Ian Seaton
    Ian Seaton
    Participant

This is not exactly a job skills/employment training topic as much as it is a job/employment topic, for which there is not a designated group. I am looking for information on any vetted income opportunities for those we serve where they could work part-time out of their homes. There are all variety of reasons why someone might not be able to work outside the home or might not be able to take a second night shift job and who are regularly $50 – $150 a week short of being able to meet basic needs. These types of income opportunities will not necessarily lift families out of poverty, but they can go a long way to restoring some dignity and removing some stress, and also allowing us (SSVdP) to redirect our resources to families in deeper crisis.

Profile photo of Irene Frechette
    Irene Frechette

Good Evening Ian
    An interesting inquiry
    I will share this with Tom Mulloy in our National Office and see if he can come up with any information
    Irene

Ian Seaton
    Participant

Thank you Irene. I would say I run into maybe 5-6 families a month who could rise above their monthly deficit with something like this — and I’m just one guy (or part of one team). I know there must be something. I remember 20-30 years ago industry used sub-contractors for inspection and simple assembly and a lot of that work was subbed out to people working part-time at home on a piece-basis. It seems only logical with our current internet world and so many remote workers that there should be even more opportunities now. My problem has been that every time I think I may have found one I start to uncover scam or pyramid or MLM red flags, and we certainly don’t want to do those “favors” for our neighbors in need.

Irene Frechette

The situations that you have uncovered are exactly what I thought of upon reading your original question
    The other factor is location. What may be available in one area may not be available in another.
    I really think that this may be an opportunity for the enterprise model, where you, yourself, or your team contact business owners in your area and offer them the chance to work with you and the people that you serve

Profile photo of Tom Mulloy
    Tom Mulloy
    Participant

Thanks, Ian, for starting the conversation on this topic. Your use of the word ‘vetted’ is careful and appreciated–as you say, too many work from home jobs are scams or pyramid schemes in disguise.

I think Irene’s idea of approaching the local Chamber of Commerce, small biz consortium, or other community economic development group is a great start (maybe even the local United Way?).

I’ve found a couple articles that seem to list legitimate companies, posted below. If you haven’t used the Better Business Bureau’s scam tracker , it can probably help in your research too. Or at least make vetting easier.

“Work From Home: 6 Companies That Hire Remote Workers”

“Want To Work From Home Part-Time? These Are The Top 35 Companies Hiring In 2016”

“Tips for Finding Legitimate Work at Home Opportunities”

Hope this helps. If I can find any more good information, I’ll post it as well.

Tom Mulloy
    National Director of Poverty Programs

Ian Seaton
    Participant

Tom,
    Thank you for the suggestions. I’ll post back here any progress we make for the benefit of any other conferences that may have this interest. Meanwhile, would sure love to hear from somebody who has actually developed a program along these lines.
    Ian

Irene Frechette

Great idea, I will ask Tom Mulloy to pose that question in the E-Gazette

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.